Jun 27, 2012

The Birthday Cake

 

DSCF3687

Happy Birthday to the bestest husband in the world!

This is a ‘different’ post – one of celebration and love.

I have borrowed the recipe, from Deeba of PAB. Deeba, thank you so much for helping me attempt a birthday cake on my own! I have tried to do justice to the wonderful recipe. Pictures had to taken furtively as the cake was meant to be a surprise for the hubby. Kids were all excited and ‘tried’ to help with the cake making too.

What did  I make?

Two recipes of Deeba’s Eggless chocolate vanilla cake without the chocolate centre, and one recipe of Eggless chocolate walnut cake. The variations for the vanilla cake were I did not use cherries for the topping, did not use vanilla sugar. I used a mixture of sunflower and olive oil and vanilla essence for flavour. For the chocolate cake, I used a mixture of sunflower and olive oil again, Ghiradelli cocoa powder and did not use walnuts for the topping. As I did not have a 6 inch tin, I used a 9 inch one – the cake did not rise much and flattened out. That was useful in a way – I did not have to torte too much for I was going to layer it. . 

I made the cakes a day ahead, cooled them well in the fridge overnight, and then ‘dressed it up’.For decoration, I used Tropolite with minced cherries in it. I used this whipping to sandwich the chocolate cake between the 2 vanilla cakes. For the icing, I used chocolate ganache, again made a day ahead and stored in the fridge. The whipped cream decoration and the birthday message on top were piped on by my 9 year old daughter, I am very proud of her. The chocolate curls were ‘curled out’ from a block of cooking chocolate using a serrated knife.

I need to improve on torting skills.

There, now that I have given you a complete account of the making, some pictures are in order!

DSCF3692

DSCF3705

DSCF3703

DSCF3706

15 comments:

Deeba PAB said...

Happy belated birthday to your dear husband! Glad the cake came out well. It looks fab Rajani!

Rajani said...

I am delighted to have your apprecaiton, Deeba! You are my baking guru!

Priya Suresh said...

Cake looks fabulous and came out prefect, belated birthday wishes to ur H.

Kaveri Venkatesh said...

Belated Birthday wishes to your husband! A beautiful bake...Your daughter's done an awesome job of piping out the words

Jayanthy Kumaran said...

wow..I'm incredibly impressed...wat a fantastic cake recipe..:)
Tasty Appetite

Torviewtoronto said...

cake looks wonderful happy birthday to your husband

Rajani said...

Many thanks for wishes

Rajani said...

Kaveri, thank you. Something special about girls and dads right?

Renus Kitchen said...

your hard work shows in the picture and hope your husband was surprised !!

Rajani said...

Renu, very nice to have you hop over, and thanks for kind words.

Divya A said...

Looks so good and seems like your cute daughter has written those words with love!! Your hubby must have enjoyed it :) Glad to follow your lovely space :)
-You Too Can Cook Indian Food Recipes

Hamaree Rasoi said...

I couldn't visit this post when you had published as was busy in serving my inlaws but made a note of it....You did an awesome job and your daughter came out with flying colors..

Rajani said...

Your kind word and encouragement have kept my blogging alive..God Bless you!

Rajani said...

Welcome to my space, and happy to have you!

Unknown said...

lovely cake Ranjini... nice to see a health recipe blog... happy to follow you... do visit me http://cooklikepriya.blogspot.co.uk/