A very Happy New Year to all readers of Healthy Slurps. There is something about the air during New Year which is very invigorating and refreshing. Goodwill, cheer, positivity abound in everyone’s heart during this season. Here is my first recipe for this year which has packed in it, all the love and cheer of this season.
To kick start this New Year with more healthy recipes, here is a salad that I assembled today. As I have mentioned earlier, salads are created with available produce at my home without sticking to any recipe. The reason I am documenting them here is to share the recipe with myself as much as with all of you. For I find myself at a loss to remember all ingredients when I want to recreate that last great salad.
- Black eyed beans ( Lobia ) – 1 cup, soaked for at least an hour
- Cucumber – 1
- Red Onion – 1 medium
- Roma Tomato – 2 medium
- Iceberg Lettuce – Roughly torn and measure 2 cups
- Red Wine Vinegar – 2 tbsp
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – 8 tbsp
- Crushed Black Pepper – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Granulated Sugar – 1 tsp
- Whisk all ingredients for dressing together in a bowl.( I used a fork to whisk them,) quite simple really. Set aside.
- Peel the lettuce leaves from the head and immerse in ice cold water.
- Pressure cook the soaked beans until just done. I pressure cooked them by simmering the flame for 5 minutes after the cooker gave out the first whistle.
- Peel and chop the other three salad ingredients in the same shapes – go with dice, slice or cubes. The only rule is to be uniform. That does give the salad a good appearance.
- Drain the water from the cooked beans, if any. Do not discard but use in soup, sambar, or as cooking liquid for any vegetable too.
- Toss all the ingredients and the dressing together in a suitable large bowl.
- Chill for half an hour and serve.