Finding myself with a big bowl of leftover Kanda Poha, I was wondering what to upcycle it as. It seemed such a shame to throw away such precious organic red poha. Thus was born Poha Alu tikki. Since rice flakes (Poha) is so quick to soak, and because the tikki is easy to put together with readily available ingredients, I am sure you will enjoy making and savoring this simple Poha Alu Tikki as much as we did.
You can use either Red or White Poha for this Poha Alu Tikki. Or you can use up leftover Aval upma/Kanda Poha like me! Just add a boiled potato for binding, some herbs and seasonings, and the Poha Alu Tikki is ready to be pan fried and gorged upon.
Here is how I made Poha Alu Tikki.
- Does NOT contain lactose, nuts, soya, corn, egg.
- Suitable for people with gluten allergy or lactose intolerance,
Preparation Time - 15-20 minutes, Cooking Time – 25–30 minutes, Makes – 12 –14 medium size tikkis.
COOKWARE – colander, 5 litre mixing bowl, chopping board, knife, potato masher, non-stick tawa/griddle
- 1 heaped cup Red/ White rice flakes ( poha). I used *Red Poha. OR 1 heaped bowl leftover aval upma/Kanda Poha
- 1 medium potato boiled, or half cup boiled mashed potato
- 1/4 cup finely minced red onion
- 2 green chillies, finely minced
- a handful of fresh coriander leaves,finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon amchur powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- If using fresh rice flakes(Poha), cover with fresh water, soak for 5 minutes. Then place in a colander and rinse under running water. Set to drain.
- Clean and mince finely onion, green chilly, and coriander leaves.
- Add the above to the drained poha, mashed potato, salt, amchur and garam masala in a mixing bowl. Mash them together using a potato masher. Mix well to a homogenous mixture.
- Make big lemon size balls, flatten slightly, and shallow fry on a heated non-stick tawa. Drizzle as little oil as possible while shallow frying. Flip to other side, and cook till browned. Take care to brown both sides evenly.
- Remove to serving plate. Serve with onion rings and mint chutney.